Poetry of the First World War; An Anthology
Author : sud. Tim Kendall
Publisher: Oxford University Press
Number of pages: 368
- A new anthology of First World War poetry that brings together the best poetry by soldiers and civilians, including women poets, with a fresh assessment of their work.
- Includes a generous representation of the best-known poets, such as Wilfred Owen, Siegfried Sassoon, and Ivor Gurney, as well as lesser known writers who have been previously overlooked. Includes two previously unpublished poems by Ivor Gurney.
- Selection organized by poet, with short biographical prefaces that set the poems in their historical context.
- A general introduction charts the history of the war poets' reception and challenges prevailing myths about their progress from idealism to disillusion.
- Generous notes detail the composition and publication history of the poems and gloss allusions and historical references.